Saturday, June 8, 2019

FLASH by CAROLE MALLORY

WASHINGTON POST REVIEW OF FLASH by CAROLE MALLORY


Image result for carole mallory flash book

EXCERPT: Already, the buzz has begun. Liz Smith suggested the book be bound "with asbestos covers." Gloria Steinem called it "fast, smart and irresistible to read." Dominick Dunne has claimed it's the funniest dirty book he's ever read, and Norman Mailer found it "wicked and funny and marvelously penetrating." Comparisons have ranged from Nabokov's "Lolita" to Terry Southern's "Candy."


According to Carole Mallory in Loving Mailer, her memoir, she got a good advance for writing the book and used it for rent money.  "If I were tight one month for rent, he would help me out,but basically I was supporting myself. (page 129)  "The previus winter of 1986 Norman had wanted me to sign a paper stating that he would be paying my rent that year, without needing it, I signed it.  beginning in January he gave me half my rent. Then he stopped sending me checks..." (page 137)  

Having quit acting, Carole felt dependent on Norman. When Carole asked what was happening, he said he owed the IRS.  She came to think that he might have used her as a tax deduction for years on end.

No comments: