Monday, February 19, 2024

LANGUAGE OF FLIRTATION - CONSIDER THE HAT : THE MOLLY BROWN HOUSE





Good thing we don't live in Victorian times because, if we did, we would have to learn an entire new way of flirting through signaling.  I found this Hat Flirtation list to be quite interesting and there is more at the site: MOLLY BROWN ORG THE LANGUAGE OF FLIRTING

Excerpt:

The history of flirtation using everyday objects can be traced back to the Augustan Roman poet Ovid, who was known, in part, for his poetry teaching about the arts of seduction and love. In Amores 1.4, Ovid directs his married girlfriend in the discreet ways of flirting using eyebrows, wine, hand signals, and jewelry:

Watch me and my nods and my expressive features:


Catch my furtive signs and you yourself return them.


Words that are spoken without voice, I shall speak with my eyebrows;


You will understand the words traced by my fingers, words written in wine.


When the wantonness of our love comes into your mind,


With tender thumb touch your blushing cheeks;


If you shall complain about me in the silence of your mind,


Your soft hand should hang from the end of your ear;


My dear light, when I do or say things which please you,


Turn your ring round and round your fingers;


Touch the table with your hand, as men in prayer do,


When you pray for many sufferings upon your deserving husband.

 

No comments: