Friday, September 8, 2023

THE COURTSHIP OF SARAH FERGUSON : SWEET JOKESTER PRINCE ANDREW and THE GIRL WHO COULD MAKE COFFEE NERVOUS


How did commoner Sarah Ferguson start up with Prince Andrew, second son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip?

Here is how she tells it:

Excerpts page 77-78-79- from Sarah's own memoir

"Given Dads's polo connections, my orbit continued to intersect the Royal Family's every now and again.... I will never forget the first time I met the Prince of Wales at a Guards Polo Club drinks party.  I was eighteen years old...  (Her mom and the future Princess Diana's mom were childhood chums.) It was only natural, then, that I'd get invited to the occasional cast-of-thousands dance at Windsor Castle - for Andrew's twenty-first birthday, for example, and later for Edward's. But the big one came in the spring of 1985, when I found a heavy bond envelope in our postal slot. It was from Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Blair Stewart-Wilson, Deputy Master of the Royal Household, requesting "the pleasure of your company at the Queen's House Party at Windsor Castle during the week of Royal Ascot."

(*Sarah got together a wardrobe that would pass and headed to Windsor... Her boyfriend Paddy McNally drove her there.)

...On my bedside table was a card embossed with the Queen's cypher, listing the four day schedule of mealtimes, along with a seating plan for the day. For lunch I had been placed between a vice-admiral and Prince Andrew, then on leave from his duties on the HMS Brazen.  More jitters.  I had seen Andrew on occasion since our childish games of tag, and one of those occasions had left me red faced...

...I was ultra nervous now, and as he reached across the table to get a paper, I somehow thought he was leaning towards me for a good-morning kiss.  So I gave him one, and he looked at me and said, "Oh, thank you very much!" 

"Oh, I didn't mean to do that!" I cried, which he must have found quite hilarious.  It honestly hadn't been deliberate - just another Fergie fiasco.  And now, just my luck, I was seated almost on top of him, where I'd be at the mercy of his famous needling.  (I had yet to suspect that matchmaker Diana had engineered this.)

.... When I turned (to speak to him at dinner), I was struck by how handsome he was in his morning suit, and soon my worries had flown.  Andrew was easy, and I felt relaxed with him, for me a rare condition --- even though I addressed him as "Sir" as per protocol.

We both knew the same idiot jokes; we both loved a good prank. ...

Out of such humble beginnings came a great and lasting friendship, one that endures today.

As I came to know Andrew that week, he seemed like a very charming, gentle giant who had spring magically from the woodwork. Now a lamp shone into my forest, and I'd been rescued buy this great looking man with a blinding smile.

Small gifts began to flatter me in Clapham; a rose cut from the Palace garden, a romantic letter. Later that summer I was invited to Balmoral; more terror...

I took him aside and told him that I'd been going out with Paddy, and I hoped he didn't mind, and he said, "Why should I mind?  I like you!  I couldn't care less about that."  That was a very good reaction, I thought.  Here was a man taking me as I was, without prerequisites or conditions - who knew what he believed and didn't mind what others thought.  Nor was I ever jealous at the gossip of Andrew with some other lady.  He cared for me, and that was enough.

***

Excerpts from the book, selected by me!

Some notes:

Diana is of course Princess Diana.  Sarah had received an invitation for one and went to the wedding of Diana and Charles by herself.  Diana would continue to be a good friend to Sarah for some years.  She provided cloth for Sarah to make a dress suitable for the Royal wedding and as the courtship continued with Andrew,  Diana lent Sarah clothing that was suitable for various events. She also gave her shoes as they wore the same size.  From another source I know what that size was, so you ladies with big feet will be happy to know they wear the equivalent of an American size ten.

Upon her entry into public life, Fergie was hailed as "a breath of fresh air," because of her naturalness and love of fun...

C 2023 Mistress Manifesto -  BlogSpot

Interested in the British Royal Family or King's Mistresses? Try searching for "Great Britain," or Diana Princess of Wales, Camilla Parker Bowles...


No comments: