Thursday, February 24, 2022

UP WITH ADULTERY ? AN ITALIAN WOMAN's MANIFESTO !

THE CUT : UP WITH ADULTERY - AN ITALIAN WOMAN's MANIFESTO by Maureen O'Conner.

This is an interview with author Guia Soncini who wrote the book 'I Mariti delle Altre."

Excerpt: Guia Soncini speaking

'When I was growing up, my mother also had friends who were the other woman. They had apartments that they waited for their men in.  You know the Mitterand thing from France, where he had a daughter from a sort of parallel marriage?  These women had that arrangement, and many famous Italians have, too.  In my book, I wrote about the director Vittorio De Sica, whose son wrote the father's adultery in his memoir; Marcello Mastroianni, who never divorced his wife despite having a daughter with Catherine Deneuve and a 22 year relationship with Anna Maria Tato; and Eugenio Scalfari, who founded and edited the newspaper I wrote for, La Repubblica, wrote about his double ménage in his autobiography; It's not cheating so much as polygamy that the law doesn't recognize.  At a certain point in the book, I ask, "Why do we think the cheater is the winner and the woman is the victim,?' ...

*Missy here - Editing notes are mine.

No comments: