Saturday, October 13, 2018

HOW MUCH RISK IS TOO MUCH RISK? OPINION BY MISSY

QUESTION FOR MISSY:


Dear Missy,
I'm a lawyer and I hate it.  I think I'm here because it was what my mother always wanted me to do.  Now I'm 30 and all I have is my career.  Another lawyer at my firm who is retiring young wants me to quit and travel with him.  I like Bruce and find him attractive but I only know him the way he is at work. He wants to travel but live in Costa Rica. He wants us to learn Spanish and start a little business there, something in tourism.  When he told me all this I was truly surprised. I had no idea Bruce, a top earner, had a thing for me. Thinking about it, I don't know.  If I go, am I just escaping? If I quit, not knowing what else I could possibly do to make a living, am I just risking too much?


Alisha
Massachusetts


ANSWER FROM MISSY:


Alisha, the best way to proceed is to lower the risk.

Such as start getting to know Bruce outside of work.

Such as letting Bruce go ahead to Costa Rica and then visiting him there on a vacation.
Once he is retired and no longer at your workplace, you will feel freer to get to know him.
Tell him that you want to take it slowly.

If you find yourself compatible with Bruce and if you like Costa Rica, then maybe this relationship is on.

If it isn't, consider getting some career counseling because lots of people who have a legal background go do something else, even something else that has nothing to do with the law.
You're intelligent and educated and that counts.


Missy



No comments: