Monday, November 23, 2015

QUESTION FOR MISSY : HOW CAN YOU SPEND THANKSGIVING ALONE?

QUESTION

Dear Missy,  I was wondering how you spend Thanksgiving alone.  Maybe you can inspire me?

Shannon, Mistress from Iowa City

ANSWER

Shannon,

I'm not always alone for Thanksgiving, but I have been without being upset about it or feeling lonely.  That's just my nature.  I've attended dinners at friends, among strangers, with family members, I've been alone but had a meal sent over, and I've had someone stop by just to pick up something to eat that I cooked, which they went home and ate alone.  I had a totally vegetarian Thanksgiving one year - no turkey. I've also attended one of those big Thanksgiving feasts that some churches do as a community.  The one thing I've never done was go out to eat alone on Thanksgiving, though I do sometimes eat alone in restaurants, without minding it.

If you don't want to be alone and have no local invites, and you don't want to go to a community gathering, I'd suggest volunteering to dish out food at a homeless shelter. Otherwise, take a hike, or a walk in nature, thinking about all the ways you are fortunate and blessed.

If you can turn Thanksgiving into a four day holiday, maybe get out of town.

No comments: